June 2016 RCG Minutes
FROM THE SECOND RESIDENTS’ COMMUNITY GROUP MEETING
Shayher Group meets with Community to discuss Heritage
On Monday 27th June, Shayher Group representatives met with Coburg community members. A representative of the National Trust attended but a representative from Moreland City Council was unable to attend.
The focus of this meeting centered around the Heritage aspects of the Pentridge site and Shayher Group’s restoration and reactivation plans with its heritage architect consistent with the expectations of Heritage Victoria.
The discussion covered:
- The current restoration of A Division roof being undertaken at an approximate cost of $700,000 over the next 3 months including restoring the Timber Living boards, slate tiles, facias and cast iron gutters
- The tenders Shayher Group is currently reviewing to restore the guard towers (with and without canopies to respect the changes in design over the site’s history) and the rock-breaking yards (to be restored to the original design from the mid-1800s as required by Heritage Victoria)
- The extent to which indigenous and political prisoners have been consulted in the preparation of the Heritage Interpretation Masterplan
- The openings proposed in the bluestone wall as contemplated in the Masterplan
- The ongoing costs of maintaining and preserving the heritage at Pentridge by future Pentridge residents.
Shayher Group will continue to work with Heritage Victoria and its heritage architect in restoring and reactivating the heritage at Pentridge in a way that respects its history. Shayher Group will also continue to consult with and meet the RCG as the project develops.
For the opportunity to be included in future meetings, or to raise concerns you may have regarding the Pentridge development, please email Pentridge@shayher.com.au.